Controlling and regulating nerve impulses leave your brain, travel down your spinal cord to pairs of nerve roots exiting from between each pair of spinal bones and out to every cell, tissue, organ and system of your body.
Simultaneously, messages from the body are constantly sent back to the brain. Even the slightest distortion or disturbance of these vital messages to or from the brain can produce malfunctioning organs or tissues.
This is why a stomach problem may not be a stomach problem! Instead, it might be a brain-to-stomach or stomach-to-brain communication problem.
Locating and reducing these communication impairments with safe and natural chiropractic care and/or Nutrition Response Testing can help restore proper function and good health.
With Nutrition Response Testing, I have provided support and relief for a variety of conditions including, but not limited to, weight loss, Crohn's, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, heartburn, lactose intolerance, and a variety of other barriers to good health. If you or someone you know suffers from any of these conditions, the best plan of action is to call my office and setup an appointment.
Turns out, the quality of our health is the result of a set of very simple rules. Play by the rules and you have the best chance for optimum health.
- You shall breathe. If you stop breathing, breathe in a shallow manner or inhale pollutants, there will be price to be paid.
- You shall ingest nutrition. Quality food is needed to fuel, grow and repair your body.
- You shall expel wastes. If you expel wastes too quickly or too slowly, you'll suffer.
- You shall hydrate. Drink enough so you never feel thirsty.
- You shall move. A sedentary lifestyle causes stagnation, poor circulation and hampers the function of the lymphatic system.
- You shall rest. Your body needs time to renew and repair.
- You shall adapt to your environment. The nervous system orchestrates every cell and tissue.
- You shall love. Love your neighbor as yourself.
- You shall forgive. Forgive others and forgive yourself.
- You shall die. Many try to break this one, but it's natural. It's part of the plan.
A report funded by the Australian Spinal Research Foundation suggests a link between chiropractic and the reduction of asthma symptoms.
According to Macquarie University researcher Dr. Ray Hayek, the study involved hundreds of people with asthma symptoms.
"When an asthma sufferer is under the anxiety of a looming asthma attack, the levels of the hormone cortisol increase. This acute increase in cortisol through a number of mechanisms can bring on an asthma attack," says Dr. Hayek. "Levels of the stress hormone cortisol steadily decreased during the trial, and levels of immunological markers (immunoglobulin A) steadily rose."
Apparently, reducing stress to the nervous system with chiropractic care reduces the likelihood of asthma attacks. More proof that chiropractic care, because of its focus on the nervous system, may be helpful for a wide variety of health complaints.
One of the trillions of things your body does with no input from you, is replace old cells with healthy new ones.
Your body relies on your current pattern and structure as a guide for the placement of new cells. Regular chiropractic care and a Nutrition Response Testing Protocol designed specifically for you helps establish new, healthier patterns and structures. This has created an entirely new way to see health. It's called: wellness.
What is your wellness plan?
What makes comfort food comforting?
What do all these scenarios have in common? Comfort food food that makes you feel good, like a favorite childhood security blanket or a warm, lingering hug from Grandma.
Comfort food preferences are usually established in early childhood and are carried forward into adulthood. They are based on associations that evoke pleasurable psychological feelings that are soothing and result in physical comfort as well, as well as temporary relief from stress or disappointment.
What's your comfort food?
Feed your body properly. Proper nutrition and regular chiropractic care will provide balance and healing to your body and help to minimize some of the more unhealthy cravings. Call today!
Is your child's fever a reason to worry? Usually not - here's why. A fever is just the body's attempt to self-regulate.
Many parents, fearful that a fever can cause seizures, brain damage or worse, over-medicate their children with ibuprofen and similar medications. Seizures are rare in fevers less than 108 degrees Fahrenheit (42 degrees Celsius).
What can a parent do for a child with a fever?
- Give your child plenty of fluids to keep him/her from becoming dehydrated. Dehydration can raise the fever even higher. Check to make sure your baby has at least 8-10 wet diapers per day or that your older child goes to the bathroom at least every four hours.
- If the child is also nauseous, make sure you give the child sips through a dropper.
- Don't force-feed the child, or make him/her eat when they are not hungry.
- Dress, or undress, your child to keep them comfortable.
Nutrition Response Testing will indentify the precise "immune challenge" that your body is fighting. I will test you for yeast, fungus, virus, bacteria and parasites and then identify the precise nutrients your body needs to overcome that "immune challenge".
It's natural and absolutely essential for proper digestion. What is it?
Eating the proper amount of fiber has significant health benefits including:
- Lower cholesterol
- Lower incidence of constipation
- Feeling of "fullness" that can lead to weight loss
- Reduced risk for colon cancer
- Reduced risk for diabetes
- Nuts one of the best sources of fiber. Eating a handful a day is a great way to add natural fiber to your diet.
- Vegetables - Fibrous vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, squash, asparagus, cucumbers and Brussels sprouts provide the most benefit. If the vegetable has skin or seeds these make it even more fiber-rich!
- Fruit Leave the skin on please because it is a major source of fiber! The seeds in berries are also a major source of fiber! You should definitely help yourself to several servings of these each day!
- Seeds Pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds all provide an excellent source of fiber and they make a great snack too!
- Legumes Beans, especially green beans as opposed to the dried variety, are a fiber-filled food.
Of course there is no "One Diet Fits All". Call today for a Nutrition Response Testing Analysis. This involves testing of all your glands and organs against food sensitivities, immune challenges, heavy metals and a complete dietary analysis to ensure your body is getting the specific nutrients it needs.
Getting that bronzed glow makes some people feel more attractive. But at what price? That 'healthy' glow isn't healthy at all.
Tanning salons promote their services by claiming that their beds emit UVA rays rather than the potentially more harmful UVB rays. However, a 15-20 minute session in a tanning bed equals an entire day of outdoor tanning and UVA rays can be just as damaging to the skin and to the immune system as UVB rays. In fact, the UVA rays emitted from a tanning bed lamp are three times as powerful as those from direct sunlight!
What are some of the more serious long-term effects of UVA exposure? They include:
- Eye damage
- Immune system changes
- Wrinkles and premature aging of the skin
- Sun spots/pigmentation changes on skin
- Skin cancer
Research suggests that exposure to the sun is essential to good health. Clearly, tanning booths and exposure to unnaturally high levels of ultraviolet light can compromise your health and later on, your appearance!
Could that pain in your legs be sciatica? The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body, so when it's inflamed the pain is profound.
Someone you know may have complained about a condition known as sciatica, but what is it? To understand the condition, it's helpful to know a bit about the anatomy of the sciatic nerve.
The sciatic nerve is the largest and longest nerve in the body. It begins at the base of the spinal cord and extends down the length of each leg to the toes on each foot. The sciatic nerve is really made up of five separate nerves that come together, and at one point is the same diameter as your thumb!
The sciatic nerves provide sensation and strength to the leg and connect the spinal cord with muscles in the thigh, lower leg, and feet. Muscle weakness or a tingling sensation in the legs can result when the sciatic nerve has been compromised or compressed in some way.
An inflammation of the sciatic nerve or compression on the nerve can cause profound pain. This is the condition known as sciatica; symptoms of sciatica include a dull ache to moderate or even severe pain, shooting pains, numbness, or a tingling feeling in the legs. Individual symptoms and their severity can usually be traced back to where one of the five nerves originates in the lower back.
While treatment in the past may have included muscle relaxants, pain medicine and even surgery that had only a 60% success rate, chiropractic care has been shown to be quite effective in relieving the nerve interference and irritation that is causing the pain in the first place - the root cause of what's getting on your nerves!
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, and feel that sciatica may be the problem, please call our practice to schedule an appointment. A thorough examination will determine whether or not you have sciatica and we can discuss what can be done to help.
The Atlas and Axis are tiny bones that have a very important job.
Because the cervical spine is so flexible, it is quite susceptible to injury. When you hear about whiplash injuries sustained in a car crash, these two vertebrae are often involved. When you stop to consider that this relatively small area of the spine supports the head, it is easy to understand how abrupt head movement could cause damage, let alone a car crash with a violent head jerk!
If you or anyone you know has been in a car accident or had a trauma, regardless fo the severity, it is a good idea to have your spine checked for damage. Call today to schedule a chiropractic examination.
Latest Blog Posts
- Chiropractic for Kids
- Keeping Food Journal to Keep Off Weight
- JAMA Recommends Chiropractic Before Resorting to Surgery
- College Football Players Improve Athletic Performance with Manual Therapy
- Frozen Shoulder Syndrome Eased By Chiropractic
- On-site Chiropractic Lowers Employee Medical Costs
Meet Dr Jeremy
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Show Older
Fortunately, a recent study offers hope to sciatica patients: chiropractic care can speed the recovery from sciatica flare ups and allow patients to return to work sooner (2).
The study evaluated 44 Norwegian workers after they came to the hospital with severe sciatica pain. Most of those patients had been experiencing pain for three or more weeks prior to their hospital visit.
The hospital chiropractor examined each patient to evaluate his/her posture and gait, range of motion, and palpation of the lumbar spine.
The chiropractic then performed various joint adjustments to the spine and other limbs that had been injured through patients compensating for pain. Ice treatment was also used to relieve soft tissue soreness.Patients were treated daily in the hospital and later three times a week for the first two weeks. Some patients needed additional follow-up treatment but typically did not exceed 14 treatments.
In matter of 21 days, 91% of patients returned to work full-time. Two patients returned to work part time. Researchers concluded this study demonstrates the potent benefits of collaboration between chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons. Chiropractic care can put an end to your sciatica pain so you can begin living your life fully again.
Posted in chiropractic, Chiropractic News, Sciatica, sciatica treatment, Understanding Sciatica
- Arana E, Marti-Bonmati L, Vega M, et al. Relationship between low back pain, disability, MR imaging findings and health care provider. Skeletal Radiology 2006;35(9):641-7.
- Orlin JR, Didriksen A. Results of chiropractic treatment of lumbopelvic fixation in 44 patients admitted to an orthopedic department. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 2007;30:135-139.